Update 3/2/2012: this competition is now closed. Congrats to the winners: David, Vici and Nicole.
Forget cocktails guys, winetails are the new black.
Not that I’m an expert or anything, but I did have a fiddle around making my own cocktails using Yellow Tail sparkling wine, and had some great results.
Those recipes coming up in a minute, but first, make sure you are signed up to my email newsletter as I’ll be sending out competition details on Friday for how three lucky readers can win 6 bottles of Yellow Tail wine. Giveaway is exclusively for subscribers! Sign up right there in the sidebar -> -> ->
Right. Now that the admin is out of the way, let’s take a look at these winetails…
Once I got down to business, I was actually quite amazed at how versatile sparkling wine is when used in cocktails, ahem, winetails. The gentle fizz really adds a bit of fun and lightness, even for the ones that have strong alcohol in them (I’m looking at you bourbon whisky).
The best thing, though, was a new bottle feature – a resealable cap. How handy! Not only is this super convenient for regular folks who don’t want to drink a whole bottle in one sitting, but it was really great for me while I was experimenting and photographing over a whole day. The wine stayed fresh and chilled and ready for its close up.
Enough procrastinating though, let’s talk about these winetails.
Sparkling Leela. Named after the lovely girl who was taste-testing this for me. It’s a beautiful combination of peach nectar, fresh passionfruit and sparkling rose. A fun, girly, Aussie-Summer twist on a bellini.
Dark Golden Sunset. This is a masculine drink designed for the men at our taste-testing gathering. Bourbon whisky, cointreau, sparkling wine and dry ginger ale. Surprisingly, it remains quite a macho drink, even with the inclusion of supposedly ‘girly’ sparkling wine.
Minty Party Starter. My taste-testers declared this was the best of the lot. Fresh, light and fruity with the mint being the stand-out ingredient. Definitely a winetail to kick your event off with a bang: lime, mint, vanilla sugar, moscato and tonic water. Yum!
Good luck in the competition guys, and do let me know if you try any of my winetail recipes tomorrow on Australia Day!
This feature story and giveaway is proudly sponsored by Yellow Tail Wines.
- 30ml peach nectar
- 1 tablespoon passionfruit pulp (roughly half a passionfruit)
- 30ml vodka
- Yellow Tail Sparkling Rose
1. Pour the peach nectar into a champagne flute. Add the passionfruit pulp and vodka and stir.
2. Top with sparkling rose to fill the glass. Enjoy immediately.
Dark Golden Sunset
- 30ml Bourbon Whisky
- 5ml Cointreau
- Yellow Tail Sparkling White Wine
- Dry Ginger Ale
- 2 ice cubes
1. Place the ice cubes into a short wide glass. Add the whisky and cointreau and stir.
2. Top with equal amounts of sparkling wine and dry ginger ale. Enjoy immediately.
Minty Party Starter
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 3-4 mint sprigs
- 30ml vodka
- 60ml moscato
- Tonic water
1. Slice the lime into six wedges and place into a tall, slender hi-ball glass.
2. Add the sugar, mint and vodka. Smash, muddle and stir until the sugar dissolves.
3. Pour in the moscato and top with tonic water to fill the glass. Enjoy immediately.