[Roasted cauliflower and chickpea salad]
Being someone who absolutely hates waste I had to transform the ingredients into something right then and there or risk their lives ending in the bin.
I love it when combinations like these spring forth out of necessity rather than culinary genius. I must admit I felt very Nigel Slater-like rustling up something from nothing like he does in his brilliant book The Kitchen Diaries.
And although it has two chickpea related ingredients (hummous is made of chickpeas and, ah, chickpeas are chickpeas) I don’t think there’s anyone who can complain they get too much fibre, so it can only be seen as a positive.
Like any good salad it’s got a range of textures thanks to the juicy tomatoes, nutty chickpeas, crunchy bread and springy fresh parsley. I think it’s safe to say there won’t be any leftovers of this leftover born creation.
Would love a vote if you get a chance. Go on, I’ll be your best friend….
Roasted cauliflower and chickpea salad
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 ripe tomato, sliced into 8 wedges
handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 lemon, zested and juiced
pinch of sumac*
2 tablespoons of olive oil + extra for roasting
half a small cauliflower (about 2 cups florets)
wholemeal pita bread, to serve
hummous, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (390F).
2. Gently mix the chickpeas, tomato, parsley, lemon zest and juice, sumac and olive oil in a large bowl. Set aside to marinate.
2. Place the cauliflower on a large roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season to taste. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until tender and brown and crispy around the edges.
3. Slice the pita bread into wedges or strips and place on a separate tray in the oven for the last 5 minutes of cauliflower cooking time.
4. Add the cauliflower to the chickpea mixture and toss gently to combine.
5. To serve, arrange the salad, pita and hummous on plates as shown above.
*Sumac is Mediterranean spice made of dried berries and has a tangy lemon flavour.
ARE YOU A FAN OF VEGETARIAN LUNCHES? Try one of these:
Organic roasted beetroot w/ vegan coriander pesto
Polenta crumbed cauliflower w/ parsley dressing
Spring vegetable potato salad w/ yoghurt dressing