The weather is still hot here in the northern rivers, even though it’s almost Autumn, so cool dinners are a welcome respite at the end of the day. Even better when they are practically no-cook.
This sauce is designed to be quick and easy but still full of the best flavours of Summer. Stir it into cooked and cooled pasta for an instant salad or stir through hot pasta for dinner in a flash. Mums, it’s a winner.
Every year as Summer comes to an end I get pretty sad. Actually, every time any season comes to an end I get sad. I’m a bit weird like that.
Even though I love the anticipation of a new set of seasonal ingredients, there’s a tiny part of me that twinges at the thought of my current favourite fruit or vegetable no longer being available. Thems the breaks of eating seasonally.
The transition of Summer to Autumn is a particular double edged sword for me. I mourn the stone fruit, mangoes, tomatoes and capsicums (among others), yet I crave the pears, mushrooms, plums and pumpkins to come.
This sauce is a last hurrah to Summer. Go out with a bang, there’s no other way.
Using roasted capsicum from a jar or deli counter makes it super speedy, and means you don’t have to cook anything. Simply whizz all the ingredients together in a blender while you boil some pasta and dinner is done.
If you aren’t a fan of soy milk then simply use the same amount of water, cold veggie stock or another milk (like dairy or oat milk). Make recipes work for you!
Which season is your favourite? Do you mourn it ending?
No-cook pasta salad sauce
- 3 whole roasted capsicums (from a jar or the delicatessen), roughly chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Vitasoy Original soy milk
- 10 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- cooked and cooled pasta, to serve
1. Place the capsicums, tomatoes and garlic into a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the soy milk and pulse to combine.
2. Remove to a jug and stir in the basil and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and stir through your favourite cooked and cooled pasta to create a salad. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve. Or simply stir through freshly cooked hot pasta and serve right away.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Vitasoy Australia to develop this sponsored recipe featuring their range of non-dairy milks. For more great soy recipes (including plenty more by Christie!) visit www.soy.com.au.
If you are a brand or PR who would like to commission a sponsored recipe, please get in touch via the Advertising page.
Looking for more pasta recipes? Check these out: