Sorry if you’ve turned up here looking for Royal Wedding themed food. You’re not going to find it!
Instead, you get this fairly ugly looking cannelloni, but don’t judge this dish by it’s cover because it’s actually very yummy.
This is the last recipe I have developed for Vitasoy and is an easy mid-week family meal. I hope you’ll consider making it on a Monday and participate in the Meatless Monday campaign to help reduce your carbon footprint and improve your health with at least one vegetarian meal a week.
It is also fantastic heated up the next day, that is, if there’s any left!
Baked pumpkin cannelloni recipe
900g pumpkin (raw weight with skin on)
2 tablespoons olive oil
300g fresh ricotta cheese
½ cup Vitasoy Calci-Plus Soy Milk (or pouring cream)
Pinch of cinnamon
½ lemon, juiced and zested
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 fresh lasagna sheets (about 20cm long each)
50g cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Cut the pumpkin into large 5cm wide wedges, leaving the skin on. Arrange the wedges on a non-stick baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pumpkin is very soft.
2. While the pumpkin is baking, make the sauce. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook gently until translucent, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes until the onion starts to brown at the edges. Add the can of tomatoes and then fill the empty can with water and add that too. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the tomato paste, then simmer for 20 minutes until thickened and reduced by about a third.
3. Remove the skin from the cooked pumpkin and place the flesh into a large mixing bowl. This is easy to do by using a spoon to scoop the flesh away from the skin. Add the ricotta, soy milk, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
4. Divide the pumpkin mixture into six even portions. Lay the fresh lasagna sheets on your workbench and spoon the mixture evenly onto each one down the centre. Roll them up to form a cylinder.
5. Spoon a third of the sauce into a baking dish large enough to fit all the cannelloni snugly in a single layer. Top with the remaining sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes until cooked through and the cheese is melted and bubbling.