This is another recipe I created for Morning Copy‘s lovely client Butcherman using their delicious meat!
As we edge into Autumn the weather starts to cool and a whole new range of seasonal produce becomes available; pumpkins, mushrooms, pears, pomegranates, truffles, pistachio nuts, fennel, parsnip and celeriac – just to name a few.
Meat has seasons too and normally you’d associate Spring with lamb, but there’s new season lamb around right now that’s simply wonderful.
I’ve kept this dish seasonal by using pumpkin and mushrooms. I especially love mashing other vegetables with potato, such as pumpkin or cauliflower, because it’s an easy way to increase your daily veggie intake – oh, and it tastes great too!
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons extra
12 (2x1kg packs) Butcherman Lamb Loin Chops
1 cup of peeled and diced potato
4 cups of peeled and diced pumpkin
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup milk
Buttered, sauteed mushrooms, to serve
1. Mix together the rosemary and 3 tablespoons of oil, reserving a few pinches of rosemary for garnish. Rub the herb mixture all over the lamb loin chops.
2. Place the diced potato and pumpkin in a large pot and fill with enough water to just cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes until vegetables are very tender. Drain thoroughly.
3. Return the empty pot to the stove and add the butter and milk. Stir until the butter has melted and the milk it hot, but not boiling. Add the potato and pumpkin and season with salt and pepper. Mash until smooth and keep warm.
4. Heat a large frying pan over high heat and add the 1 tablespoon of oil. Fry six of the chops for 8-10 minutes, turning once, for medium or until your liking. Repeat with the remaining tablespoon of oil and six chops.
5. Rest the lamb chops for 5 minutes in a warm place then sprinkle with extra rosemary. Serve with the pumpkin mash and buttered mushrooms, if you like.
– Greek Lamb Skewers (GF)
– Lemon & garlic rack of lamb w/ fresh mint sauce (GF)
– Grilled lamb w/ eggplant and feta cous cous
– Lamb roast w/ rosemary and lemon (GF)
– Red wine lamb shanks w/ herb mash