If there are corn fritters on a breakfast menu, then I order them. You see, I am very partial to a savoury pancake. Corn fritters, sweet potato and now… zucchini.
Don’t run away. We are all adults here. I promise you will like these.
I realise I am in the minority when it comes to loving the taste of greens. Yes, LOVING. I will take green veggies over any other, any day of the week. Broccoli, kale, silverbeet, green beans, snow peas, all asian greens, zucchini – you name it. If it’s green, I love it.
You may not be crazy-in-love with greens as much as I am and may be one of those peeps that just tolerates a bit of wilted spinach hidden under their full fry up meat fest, but I think I can twist your arm with this recipe.
I’ve combined grated zucchini into a thick pancake batter then sweetened it with cranberry sauce, freshened it with mint and added little crunchy bursts of pistachio. If all that wasn’t enough, I’ve topped it with a cranberry flavoured mascarpone cream.
Yes you can taste the zucchini pretty clearly, but that’s the beauty of this sweet and savoury combo. Besides, I love getting a serve of veggies in weekend breakfasts so that you can be cheeky later on a lazy Sunday night and eat hot chips or pizza without a scrap of guilt.
ps. Doesn’t that super close up shot above make you drool?
These are quite dense due to the veggie content and so keep their shape really well if made in advance and then kept warm in a low oven – perfect for feeding a crowd for breakfast or brunch.
They are also really toddler friendly when sliced into soldiers and served with a bit of the mascarpone for dipping. They even taste great cold, so I packed some into a tupperware container and Poppy snacked on them while we were out and about.
Do you love or tolerate greens? Would you try making these?
Zucchini, cranberry and pistachio pancakes with cranberry mascarpone
makes 8 / serves 4
- 2 medium zucchini (total approximately 250g)
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
- 1 tablespoon Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce
- 50g (1/2 cup) pistachio nuts (unshelled weight, then shelled to give 30g or 1/4 cup of nuts)
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce
1. Coarsely grate the zucchinis and place into a clean tea towel to soak up excess moisture. Set aside.
2. Add the flour, eggs, cranberry juice and cranberry sauce to a mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add the zucchini, pistachio nuts and mint to the batter and mix well. It should be very thick.
4. Heat a non-stick, heavy based frying pan over medium heat and add a little vegetable oil. Ladel in some batter and smooth out to form a flat, even circle. Cook for 3 minutes until the underside is golden brown and then flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
5. Place on a paper-lined plate and keep warm in a low oven while you repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 pancakes.
6. Whisk together the mascarpone and cranberry sauce and serve dolloped on top of the pancakes.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Ocean Spray Australia and Undertow Media to develop this sponsored recipe using their products for a new e-book that is soon to be released.