This recipe was a challenge was to come up with a breakfast dish using button mushrooms and I think this burrito fits the bill perfectly. I competed against two American and Canadian bloggers in the Mushroom Masters Tournament and unfortunately came third (ie. last!). It was a popularity vote, so I guess I just don’t have enough online friends, hehe.
It’s quite difficult to photograph a burrito in a pretty way, let me tell you! How do you think I did? I can definitely see some areas for improvement.
Recipe below, enjoy!
Mushroom Breakfast Burritos recipe
250g cherry tomatoes
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
200g white button mushrooms, quartered
200g Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
200g tinned kidney beans, drained
¼ teaspoon ground chilli powder
4 wholewheat tortillas
sour cream and mashed avocado, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place, cut side up, on a baking tray lined with non-stick paper. Drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and bake on the top shelf for 20 minutes until softened and starting to brown at the edges. Set aside.
2. Make the mushrooms: Place a large frying pan or skillet over high heat on the stove top and melt one tablespoon of butter and two tablespoons of olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add the garlic and parsley and cook for 2 minutes more until fragrant. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside in a bowl and keep warm.
3. Make the salsa: Place the kidney beans and chilli powder into a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until warmed through then add the cherry tomatoes and gently stir to combine. Set aside and keep warm.
4. Make the scrambled eggs: Wipe out the frying pan or skillet and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and olive oil over medium heat. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper and then pour into the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until done to your liking.
5. Assemble to serve: Place tortillas on serving plates. Top with some scrambled egg, then salsa, then mushrooms. Serve with sour cream and avocado on the side.