Sometimes I feel like a really light breakfast that is carb-free and packed with veggies. Mind you, it’s usually after I’ve had a massive pizza feast the night before, but still – my mind is in the right healthy headspace.
I’m actually a big believer in getting at least one serve of veggies in at breakfast time, especially on the weekend, as that’s when I’m usually prone to ordering more cheekily than usual (um, hello battered barramundi and chips!).
Do you fall into the weekend naughty eating trap too? No? You’ve probably got more self control then.
Anyway, this recipe combines many of my favourite things – mediterranean flavours, mushrooms and buttery ripe avocado – and also happens to be vegan, paleo, gluten free and dairy free. Winning! You can make it more substantial by serving it with toast. I don’t think it needs it, but then again, I don’t know your appetite!
Lastly, there’s also great health benefits to this dish (other than the fact it contains no animal products). You see, avocado is rich in Vitamin C which is needed to properly absorb iron from plant sources, such as the baby spinach used here. You are helping your body get maximum nutrients by eating them together. Did I mention winning?!
I hope you have been enjoying the avocado breakfasts I’ve been posting. Sadly, next Monday is the last one. Scroll down below the recipe for links to the last three if you missed them.
Tell me, do you deliberately eat veggie packed breakfasts? Or can you only stomach veggies from lunch onwards?
Mediterranean smashed avocado on roasted flat mushrooms
- 8 large flat mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac (or paprika)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1/2 roasted capsicum, finely diced (from a jar or deli counter)
- 8 green Sicilian olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- extra olive oil, to garnish
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Place the mushrooms on a paper-lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac. Roast for 15 minutes until golden and tender. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm in a low oven.
2. Meanwhile, make the smashed avocado. Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh and place into a large bowl. Add the capsicum, olives, lemon juice and zest and parsley. Season with salt and pepper and roughly mash with a fork to combine. Be sure to leave some chunky bits of avocado for texture, you don’t want a puree, so don’t go overboard with the mashing!
3. To serve, scatter the spinach leaves on plates then place two mushrooms on top of each other and dollop on a generous few spoonfuls of avocado mixture. Drizzle with extra olive oil. Serve with toast on the side to make it more substantial, if you like.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Australian Avocados to develop five sponsored recipes using this delicious fruit (yep, avocados are technically fruits!) in five delicious breakfast dishes.
If you are a brand or PR who would like to commission a sponsored recipe, please get in touch via the Advertising page.
Check out the other breakfasts in this series so far: