Have you been enjoying my Monday posts with breakfast dishes featuring avocado? I’ve been loving coming up with them!
Today I present you a scrumptious stack with three ingredients that are the very best of friends; corn, avocado and bacon. A threesome match made in heaven, if you will!
I’m such a fan of the savoury pancake – and even better when they are pikelet-sized and stacked with other yummy morsels such as a zingy, fresh salsa made from creamy, ripe avocados and a tonne of herbs.
Oh, and bacon. Lovely, lovely bacon. Sorry vegos.
What do you think of this combo? Have I got you excited about eating avocado for breakfast yet? Two more recipes to go!
Herby avo salsa with corncakes & bacon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cobs corn, kernels sliced off with a sharp knife
- butter or oil for pan frying
- 8 rashers bacon
Herby avo salsa
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Place the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and stir to combine. Crack the eggs into a jug, add the ricotta and milk then whisk to thoroughly combine.
2. Add the egg mixture to the flour along with the corn kernels. Season with salt and pepper and mix gently to form a thick batter.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a little butter or oil to coat. Dollop four tablespoons of mixture to form four pikelet-sized corncakes and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until golden underside and stable enough to flip. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more until cooked through. Keep warm in a low oven while you make the rest, there will be 12 in total.
4. Cook the bacon until crispy, drain and set aside. Meanwhile, make the salsa. Peel and dice the avocados and place into a medium bowl. Add all the other ingredients, season with salt and pepper and mix gently.
5. To serve, layer the three elements on serving plates starting with a corncake, then bacon, then salsa. Repeat until everything is used up. Enjoy immediately.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Australian Avocados to develop five sponsored recipes using this delicious fruit (yep, avocados are technically fruits!) in five delicious breakfast dishes.
If you are a brand or PR who would like to commission a sponsored recipe, please get in touch via the Advertising page.
Check out the other breakfasts in this series so far: