Pizza for breakfast? Yes please! And even though this is a rather healthy version of pizza, it’s still a super fun way to start your day.
Avocado and smoked salmon are such good friends in the flavour department; the creaminess of the avocado is perfectly complemented by the salty, smoky fish – and when they’re combined with a runny egg yolk and earthy kale there’s absolutely no way your day will be anything short of fabulous. I promise!
Forget going out for breakfast, this is such an easy way to have a cafe-style experience at home, and it’s no hassle at all to knock up several at a time to serve a crowd. I’ll admit it’s not a huge portion, but there’s plenty of nutrients from the different elements (hello kale, superfood alert!). If you’re ravenous, simply accompany it with a glass of milk and a piece of fruit and you’re good to go.
For the next few weeks I’m serving up breakfast dishes featuring avocados, so drop by each monday for a fresh new idea (here’s last weeks in case you missed it).
Do you eat avocado for breakfast? And, pizza for breakfast – can you do it?
Avocado & smoked salmon breakfast pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 mini wholemeal pitta pockets
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 4 sprigs kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 4 tablespoons firm mozzarella, grated
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 200g smoked salmon
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and crack in the eggs. Fry for 3 minutes until crispy underside with a runny yolk, or to your liking. Leave in the pan to keep warm.
2. Heat the overhead grill in the oven on high. Place the wholemeal pitta pockets onto a flat roasting tray and put into the oven on the top rack closest to the grill. Cook for 1 minute until toasted, then remove the tray from the oven and use tongs to flip each one over. Keep the grill on.
3. Massage the kale leaves with the other tablespoon of olive oil until well coated. This will prevent them from burning. Spread each pitta pocket with a teaspoon of tomato paste (on the untoasted side) and divide the kale leaves among them. Sprinkle with mozzarella and place the tray back onto the top oven rack. Cook for 1 minute until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
4. Remove from the oven and place onto serving plates. Top with avocado, smoked salmon and fried egg. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Australian Avocados to develop five sponsored recipes using this delicious fruit (yep, avocados are technically fruits!) in five delicious breakfast dishes.
If you are a brand or PR who would like to commission a sponsored recipe, please get in touch via the Advertising page.
Check out the other breakfast in this series so far: