Avocados, how do you eat them?
I guess it really helps that the Northern Rivers region is absolutely brimming with avocado farms as well as locals growing and selling them out the front of their properties at honesty stalls.
They are so abundant that I simply cannot imagine my kitchen without them.
But apparently, not everyone feels the same way. They think avocados are just for lunch and dinner dishes – salads, guacamole and the like – so I’m attempting to change that!
For the next five weeks I’m posting five scrumptious avocado breakfast recipes that will get you bouncing out of bed to chow down. Start your day off right with a healthy dose of vitamin C and E, folate, potassium and a whole heap of antioxidants (hello, younger looking skin!), not to mention a great source of fibre and unsaturated ‘good’ fat.
Today’s recipe helps you kick start your veggie intake for the day with peppery rocket and zingy pesto. If you can’t find olive sourdough then sub in your favourite bread, may I suggest a nice dense rye or seeded sourdough? You can thank me later.
Looking forward to revealing the second recipe next week, meanwhile – do you eat avocados for breakfast? How do you do it?
Avocado, pesto, lemon and rocket on olive sourdough
- 8 slices olive sourdough (or your favourite bread)
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 4 handfuls rocket, washed and dried
- 1 lemon, quartered
- pesto, to serve (ingredients below)
- 1 bunch basil, leaves picked, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. First, make the pesto. Add the basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic to a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add the parmesan and oil and blitz until a chunky paste forms. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Toast the sourdough slices and place onto serving plates. Spread each with a few tablespoons of pesto, then top with avocado slices and rocket.
3. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over as each person desires.
Fig & Cherry was commissioned by Australian Avocados to develop five sponsored recipes using this delicious fruit (yep, avocados are technically fruits!) in five delicious breakfast dishes.
If you are a brand or PR who would like to commission a sponsored recipe, please get in touch via the Advertising page.